The Eckbrecht de Durkheim family held the village of Froeschwiller from the Bishop of Strasbourg from the 14th Century. They owned a castle in the village which was attached to the church of the village with a main building flanked by two towers with access to outbuildings via a gatehouse. At around 1850 the castle was purchased and rebuilt by a cousin of the Durckheim-Montmarin family, Ferdinand de Durckheim. In 1890 his son Albert had it further converted and enlarged by the German architect Gabriel von Seidel from Munich. He installed a large double pitched roof with small mansard windows and a tower capped by a belvedere. The outbuildings carry the coat of arms of the Durckheim family and the date 1891. The castle was sold to its present owners after the Second World War.