The Convent of the Jacobins of Poligny is a former church of Our Lady in the Gothic style of the thirteenth century, located in Poligny in the Jura department of Franche-Comté. The convent is classified as historical monuments since August 17 in 1945 and is home to the Hyacinthe Friant school and Wine Cooperative of Poligny.
In 1221 the Count Palatine Otto III of Burgundy (great grand son of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and vassal of the Holy Roman Empire ) had built the parish church at the foot of the castle Grimont , with three naves without transept (One of the first and oldest churches in the Gothic style in France).
In 1248, following the disappearance of the count, his sister Adelaide, Countess of Burgundy succeeded him under Countess of Burgundy and changed the building in 1271 by founding a convent and she installs, on 16 May 1276, a congregation of Preachers . The most illustrious families of Poligny to have their monuments.
In the fifteenth century a large square tower surmounted by an Imperial dome, called "Tour of the Library", is integrated into the walls of the city.
On 26 June 1638 , during the Ten Years' War (Franche-Comté) between the Kingdom of France and the Habsburgs of Austria and Spain , the French troops of the Duke Henri II d'Orléans-Longueville burned and massacred the Poligny population who fiercely resist him by order of King Louis XIII of France . The convent is now in ashes, and the church has no roof.
At the French Revolution religious congregations are removed and the buildings are declared National Property . In 1795 the church became a salpêtrière (factory gunpowder made from saltpeter ). The remarkable church statues are now scattered around the world, some can be found in the Louvre , the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Museum of Fine Arts and Archeology of Besançon.